Thursday, January 24, 2013
I'm sitting here starving even after I had my breakfast thinking about what else I can get to eat since I don't have a lot of options other than vending machine carp and my lunch I'm saving, for well lunch time. So while I'm weighting my options (pun not intended) I'm working on some files....when I realized Microsoft has joined forces with WW.
Yes, Microsoft! I think my spell check at work is getting on me for my weight now. While I was typing "def atty" (as in defense attorney) into my file notes Microsoft autocorrected my short hand of "def atty" to "de fatty". DE FATTY. Seriously, how is even de fatty a proper word? And even more importantly, why is it even in my auto correct?!
It's going to be one of those days!
My weight loss
Monday, January 07, 2013
To be blunt I got bored, was unmotivated and well flat out lazy. I felt my blog was a place for me to whine and I needed to just step away and take a breather for a while. Problem is, for me it was watching this major car wreck unfold in front of me....well car wreck probably isn't the most accurate. Lets say train wreck. It's not like I was watching it but I could feel it, slowly behind me as one train car detrail off the track, then it pulled the next one off, then the next then so on and so on. Then before I knew it, I was pulled into this massive pit of train car carnage. If I had just turned around I could see it all unfold and maybe not let it get as far as it did...but I remained willingly blind I guess. I let my personal life of emotions, physical, health, finance problems and what-all over take me (and I'm pretty sure there where some donuts involved too) and let it all comeplete threw me off balance. I thought that I could do this without the online resources to save a few bucks (I know, I know) and well you can see from the size of my butt that didn't work too well. While I still went to meetings, the tracking and thinking went bye-bye!
So even though I feel like I'm slinking back into the commumity with my tail tucked between my legs, I refuse to make any new years resolutaions. However, I am saying "Ok, you know you can't do this alone, so don't!" While I"m not going to regularly blog (for now) due to work and still working on jumpstarting my creative mojo I do plan on putting my nose to the grind and being around more.
Hope everybody had a safe, healthy and happy 2013.
My work even blocked all add-ins so I can't upload my awesome fiery train wreck picture :(
Ugh, even worse IE doesn't have spell check and you all know I can't spell worth carp!
Monday, July 09, 2012
I’ve been having a mad passionate affair with a very large Toblerone. I know, I know…I’m ashamed and you are jealous. Oh wait I mean sympathetic.
I know some are asking "why do you even have one to begin with!?!" Well it was a gift from a co worker. Or what I would more accurately call my it-sucks-to-be-you-since-I-got-to-go-to-London-on-company-business-and-you-didn't-so-here's-a-monster-souvenir.
Now, I had a plan and clearly defined INTENTIONS; however, I just completely disregarded them. As you can see from the picture my lovely Toblerone is freakin’ huge. I mean look….it’s bigger than 2 old school cheap staplers! I tried to be good and write the points per square on the box thinking if that number was glaring at me I wouldn’t be as tempted to have more. *Pfffft* Yea, well that clearly didn’t work as well as I was anticipating. I fully admit that half of my monster Toblerone was eaten (well inhaled more like it) but the other half was promptly unwrapped and thrown in the trash can. And since my trash can itself hasn’t been clean since the Regan years I could guarantee myself I wouldn't pull a George Costanza (yea I’m showing my age here).
Now, if my co-worker would quit bring Dove Chocolate to "share" things would be even better!
Well, I'm off to California. I'm on a desperately needed vacation for 2 full weeks baby!
Friday, June 29, 2012
I honestly don't know what it is with me and songs. Oh well.
I finally am connected at home and things have been absolutely crazy! I'm still a PC user, which sucks, but at least I have a computer now lol. Other than WW the only thing I used my home computer for was games so it was hard to justify spending the money which is what took so long in getting it replaced.
It's amazing how not being connected to community has impacted me. You wouldn't think much of it if you still have meetings, but for me so much of my support is from online more than at the meetings so it's been a huge struggle for me not being connected with everybody.
The good news is I've gotten my computer replaced so things will be back to normal. Well...relatively normal for me anyways since I don't think I've experienced "normal" in my life. But things have been insane to say the least. At least I’m finally an AUNT! My sister had her baby and 8 pound Beckett came into the crazy world just a few weeks ago. So say “hello” to cutie-pie Beckett.
I also finally have my vacation coming. I’m taking off 2 full weeks from the firey-pits-of- **** , umm I mean work. A week of it I’ll be in San Diego. Looking forward to the zoo, beach, whales, Navy men (well their base is there so I’m hoping to see a lot of man-pretty). And then for a few days I’ve got Comic Con. I’m super excited (and of course I’m able to check it off my bucket list!). This vacation was supposed to have been my sister, her best friend and myself….Ummm since baby came it’s now my sister’s best friend and myself. While the arrangement isn’t ideal I’ve known her friend for ages so I’ll know I’ll have a good time, she’ll just have to remember I’m too old for holding down the bars and not willing to drink that many calories! So if anybody’s familiar with San Diego and/or Comic Con let me know on my wall what you recommend for eats and things to do. I haven’t planned out my gastro aspects of my vacation so I need to start thinking and make a plan.
Anyways, I’m connected and hope everybody is having a wonderful (albeit not too hot) summer!
Monday, March 19, 2012
I don't know what came over me but I got adventurous this weekend. VERY ADVENTUROUS. This weekend I decided to cook some of the recipes I've saved on Pinterest. These are recipes which were low point alternatives or just healthier; but while they looked good, they were way outside my comfort zone. For those who know me you will pick up on why these were out of my comfort zone, for those who don't......it's all about texture. Oh yea, and zucchini (a squash *shudder*).
So, the first thing I made was cauliflower pizza bites. While I would never be able to have these as a substitute when craving pizza, these were really good! The only change to the recipe was I added ground rosemary and diced the turkey pepperoni instead of quartering it. what surprised me was the cauliflower, it wasn't mushy at all, and had a crumbly bread consistency. What didn't work was trying to remove them from the paper linings, they there were a crumbly mess (yes I used cooking spray in them) so I couldn't dip them into the homemade pizza sauce (yes, you can just call me Martha Stewart!). Next time I will add another egg white and skip the paper liners and just press them really well directly into the pan. So while these weren't a 5 star, they were a definitely a win and will be made again.
My next adventure was zucchini bites. Yes, you read that right....I made something that was a squash. Now I will admit I like zucchini bread, it's grated and surrounded by sugary carbby goodness so I know it doesn't really count. These definitely do. The changes I made was i used EggBeaters instead of the whole egg, parmesan cheese, Panko breadcrumbs, added garlic and a very generous amount of black pepper. The verdict? I LOVED these. I know!! I'm shocked too. I think squeezing the water out of the grated zucchini while daydreaming I was wringing my coworkers neck helped. Not mushy at all! And these popped right out of the muffin tin and held their shape. Definitely a win.
Now, the scary one. I've always been a firm believer that you can eat just about anything if it was covered in enough good quality chocolate which is why I tried this recipe for a Vegan Chocolate Chip Pie. The only changes I made was I used half the oil, added more applesauce, and used Splenda brown sugar blend. Plus, I used Ghirardelli semi sweet chocolate chips. The verdict? Well to be honest it took me about an hour after it cooled to get the nerve to try it. I mean it's freaking beans! Now I love me some hummus, but garbanzo beans in a cookie??? Then I probably behaved like my 3 year old granddaughter when she isn't sure about something. I sniffed it, poked it with my fork, pushed it around my plate until I found a bite that was 99% chocolate chip. It looks like a cookie, smelled like a cookie (just not as sweet smelling), but the texture was a little soft which was my biggest issue. It surprisingly wasn't bad. Maybe if i wasn't a wimp and ate it warm (maybe topped with some skinny ice cream) it would have been even better. While this won't be on my repeat let's make again list (it's getting over the mental hump of it being beans) I'm willing to give some of her other items a try now. I mean, hey I ate a chocolate garbanzo beans cookie I can try anything now!
My next adventure will be falafel savory pie from heatovento350. My kids are vegetarian so I'm always looking for dinner ideas beyond pasta, tofu, and beans.
In addition to the above food blogs, some of the other food blogs I reguarly read and cook from are:
http://www.Skinnytaste.com (probably cook the most out of hers!)
PS - picture was taken from phone so it's hard to see the foods very well but you get the idea.
Monday, March 05, 2012
Well, I’m giving this another try. I still don’t have a working home computer and I have lost not 1 but 3 different blog post by trying to post from my iPad. And I can assure you that each were thought provoking and witty! So needless to say I got super frustrated with the whole posting issue which is why you haven’t seen much from me. This time I’m trying to keep my entry contained within the box (no scrolling) so it's going to be a short & sweet post since I think what’s happening is that when my post is longer than the box and the scroll bar pops up I can’t get it to go away to click on “submit”. So….here we go (again)!
What’s going on? Been super busy (as usual) but for a few weeks now I’ve been planning my baby sister’s baby shower. It’s been super exciting to say the least and a lot of fun to plan. It’s going to be very whimsical ….a Dr Seuss theme. I’m handling the main entrée dish so I’m a little torn between making something that’s WW friendly or making the hormonal preggo lady happy. I’ve been told that my WW lasagna is no where as good as my regular lasagna and she doesn’t want it WW-fied. While at first I was miffed at her but then I had to agree. Yes WW lasagna is a great substitute and tasty BUT it’s not the same. Sorry, it’s really not. Ground turkey and minuscule cheese can’t complete with all that Italian sausage and gooey cheesy goodness. So the dilemma, what to do? Part of me is thinking making a compromise. Don’t make it my full WW version, use my regular recipe but just make lighter substitutions where I can. Meaning still use the whole 6 cups of cheese (hey it’s for an entire recipe…chill) but just use 2% in lieu of whole milk cheese. Egg beaters are an easy swap. And still go for ground sausage just make sure it's lean. I think it will work without sacrificing the gooeyness of the cheese that she loves. I also think what will help is I’m making these as individual serving lasagna cups vs a whole pan. So the cups will be portion controlled so there’s no guesswork as to the points. Now I just have to tackle the rest of my shower-to-do-list.
My true challenge…how to stay away from the Thing 1 red velvet cupcakes (the co-host is making these and they definitely won't be WW friendly)
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
I'm back in the saddle again... Out where a friend is a friend
Well hope everybody had a happy holiday! I know it’s been a few weeks but things on my end have been crazy. Home computer went kaput and only wants to work when it feels like it (and I refuse to buy a PC so I’m just (im)patiently waiting until I can afford a Mac). Then you add I haven’t had much time to get online at work. But my brief absence doesn’t mean I went AWOL with WW. In fact I think I’m *FINALLY* mentally back in the game after months and months of struggling.
A couple of things I think really have helped:
(1) I have a tracker buddy. Each morning I email my previous day’s food journal to tlryan1. Now it doesn’t necessarily stop me from having something but it make me think about how much of that bad food I do have. And I can tell you that Tricia has seen some pretty bad meals. But at least it’s only a bad meal…not a bad day!
(2) FINALLY found a gym I’m happy with. I signed up with Planet Fitness that just opened down the road. When 24-Hour Fitness told me they were going to replace the TVs before fixing any of the equipment I knew there was no way I would stay after that. Out of 15 treadmills only 7 were in working order. Ditto for the elliptical. So come peak time I’m often having to wait until a machine opens up which cuts down on how much time I can spend during my workout. While PF is shiny and new, it has a TON of cardio equipment so even during peak times you can always find a machine. Plus you add that they cater to clients like me so I’ve never felt self conscious about all the jiggling that happens.
(3) My BFF joined the gym with me! I’m so excited about that because it makes the time go by so fast. Plus we’ve stated for days we don’t go together we have to show proof (usually a picture) that we’ve done something else so we don’t skip our regularly scheduled workout.
(4) Mini Biggest Loser competition between friends. There are 5 of us and who ever loses the largest percentage wins. While I don’t expect to win since our group contains a male and a classic “dieter” (you know the type, can lose really fast and quick – but gains it back just as fast the second she’s done). But just knowing I’ve got to send my WI each week helps me.
So I’ll spare everybody and not start singing Gene Autry’s “Back in the saddle again”. So here’s to not getting bucked off! Whoopy-ti-yi-ya
(Yea...I went there!)
Pic - My proof I was a dancin' funky fool with Just Dance 2 when I couldn't meet BFF.
My weight loss
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
We all know that the holiday season was established initially for religious holidays, both Christmas and Hanukkah, but it seems to have established itself as the eating holiday. From Thanksgiving through New Years this time of year I’ve been swarmed by evil armies of chocolate, chips, dips, cookies, cakes, pies, chocolate (wait, I’ve already said that – well there *has* been a lot of chocolate), and cake balls. Ok so the cakeballs were my own contribution to the evil side of the battle…but still! It’s been a battle of will, battle of determination and a battle between my thighs rubbing together.
It would be nice to say “no thanks” and pass on all the tasty treats. But why? For me deprivation doesn’t work. AT ALL. The more I say “no” the more I want that freakin’ cookie. So my goal is to (1) remain in control (2) practice restraint – aka eat the ONE cookie, not the whole tin and (3) and as DonnaT says “if it’s not a party in my mouth…don’t eat it” aka make sure it’s worth those points.
So these 3 things are what I am going to be mindful of. But honestly for me this time of year is about being with my Family and enjoy being together.
So whatever you celebrate this time of year Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Feliz Navadid, Kwanzaa, or Yellow Snow Day have a Happy Holiday.
PS…Jaq - don’t think I didn’t notice my wrapping paper frayed at the corner! Bad kitty!
Wednesday, December 07, 2011
I’ve been putting off this post for a really long time. Like umm a few months. Ok fine, closer to 10. Most who know me know I’ve been struggling to staying on track and keeping my focus. I do great at breakfast and lunch but then around 2:00 or so it all goes to hellinahandbasket. Sketchy tracking, sketchy portion control, bad food choices, and flat out being lazy.
Why do I do this? What is even causing this? I have lots of reasons, but realistically they are just excuses. Yes they contribute to the reduced motivation but can I solely blame them? As much as I would love to it (a) wouldn’t be the truth and (b) wouldn’t matter. For example. I *hate* my gym. Hate it, hate going, hate everything about it. It’s a dump. But it comes down to what I have near me and money. Having a gym I hate provides no motivation to get dress and go workout. But is that even a real excuse? It’s not like I can’t get my backside up and walk outside. Do my wii. A DVD… anything. So, no, can’t even really use that.
The second excuse was my WW buddy decided to disrupt MY weight loss and have a baby. The nerve! It’s amazing how losing that one person who kept me in check and kept WW in the forethought of my mind affected me. For 11 months I didn’t have that buddy to ask “what did you eat for dinner?”, “How many points was that?” & etcetera. I no longer had that extra support that I never realized I needed but relied on so heavily. Then of course dear hubby. *sigh* he means well, but…. He lets me get away from the program and even offers excuses for me, you’ve done great so long it’s ok to eat this for dinner just this once. Or brings home things he knows I love. You all know what I mean. So, my excuses are only that. Excuses. They don’t *make* me eat such-and-such. They don’t make me “forget” to track.
I know I have to get refocused so I sat down with my Wednesday WW leader (something I should have done a long time ago) to get her help to get me back on track. Ms. Judy, as always, gave me a lot of great advice, but she nailed it with the 1 thing I needed to hear. “Stop and think what advice you would give to someone else who was struggling. What would you say to them and use that advise on yourself.” That same morning I posted on a group board some advice for someone who was struggling. THAT SAME MORNING. Hey, it’s official…. I’m the queen of do as I say, not as I do. I guess it’s back to practice what I preach, huh!
So, what advice I would give to someone else that I will take myself? (1) Use the new program changes as a clean slate start; use this new program reboot as a reboot for your program. (2) Take it 1 day at a time. Commit to 1 day. Then the next day, commit to that day, and so on. (3) Look at what’s driving the behavior and focus on THAT behavior. All about cause & effect – take away the cause, you have a different effect. (4) Don’t even worry about the scale, focus on doing the program and focus on the behavior. If you do that then the scale will follow suit. (5) Stop beating yourself up. What’s happened is over and done. (6) Find a tracker-swap buddy, that that buddy look at my tracker next week and make suggestions. (7) No lying. Not writing things down in the tracker doesn’t mean you didn’t eat them and doesn’t mean then points didn’t count. It's about being honest with oneself and be honest with the program. Sure having PCOS makes things difficult but I know that it’s just yet another excuse. It's what I put in my mouth that causes the weigth gain, not my hormone imbalance. Simple as that!
So for my new week I’m taking my advice for others and applying it to myself. I have a nice new shiny weight tracker (ok so it’s not shiny, but it is new!) a tracker-swap buddy and a fresh start.
Pic- me with the 8 pounds I’ve gained..errr…I mean my WW buddy Kelli's new cutie pie Grayson.
My weight loss
Thursday, December 01, 2011
I've been so swamped at work I really haven't had time to think about a blog post and my creativity seems to be stunted this month. Sooo….instead you get stuck with 20 things you may not know about me and probably never wanted to know. But hey this is my blog and I’ll take the easy way out if I want to :)
1) I tell my cat goodbye when I leave the house. Every-single-time. Hey I tell Hubby goodbye too! Umm ok, so it's after the cat.
2) Have a minor hand sanitizer addiction (there’s 3 on my desk at work, 1 on my desk at home, 2 in my purse, 1 large one in my truck, and even 1 on my camera bag). Plus I have a back up stash for when I run low.
3) I am a bona-fide Christmas music geek. I put my radio on the 24-hour Christmas music station on Black Friday and don’t change the station until the end of Christmas day. I listen to it in the car, at work and at home. And everytime I hear Taylor Swift butcher Wham's "Last Christmas" I will
b!tch and moan every single time but I still won't change the station. Hey it's WRECHED!
4) I see nothing wrong with using the word Xmas (vs Christmas); it is just an abbreviation, not an attempt to de-Christianize Christmas. And given "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, and translates to "Christ" I believe it is an appropriate abbreviation.
5) I was a grandmother before I was an aunt. My baby (29 year old) sister is pregnant and I’m going to be an Aunt FINALLY at 43 years old!
6) I am not afraid of the dark, things that go bump, or Don King's hair but a tiny roach… I will scream like a little girl.
7) I love chili dogs. Heartburning, messy, fattening, chili, cheese, onion, and lots of relish chili dogs!
8) I tend to order sweet potato French fries and a salad at Fuddruckers. Yes, I get weird looks but all I care about are those fries.
9) I have asthma that’s triggered by my horrible allergies. Oh and I've been on immunology allergy shots for 9 years now. I'm ready to be cured! *achoo*
10) I always wished I had my middle sisters middle name instead of mine. Lorraine instead of my given one of Elizabeth.
11) I have never tried a single illegal drug (or used a legal drug illegally). Ever. Not even in college. And I'm a product of the 80's! However, I was no nun and I did partake in other forms of debauchery behavior…. which I refuse to share given I don’t want to be grounded at 43 years old.
12) I write notes/reminders/lists on my hand. But because I am a frequent hand-washer I write them with a Sharpie on the top side which means everybody else can see them too. Yes that picture is of my hand.
13) Favorite books of all times are Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and Big Trouble by Dave Berry.
14) I have insomnia (average 3-4 hours of sleep a night) but I cannot take a nap during the day.
15) I only own 1 television, and it’s in the living room. I know I’m not normal!
16) I have my entire funeral/memorial planned out. Including my last wishes, color of flowers, where it's to be held, and a detailed list of music to be played at my funeral. I'm morbid like that.
17) I see no problem with breast feeding in public. Would you want to eat your lunch in the bathroom?!?! Why do we make a baby? Americans are ok with slutty dressing but heaven forbid you catch a glimpse a b.oob during breast feeding! Yea like breastfeeding will corrupt our children more than tv/internet/ movies/cartoons/ videogames.
18) I love the outdoors and all things nature but hate having nature on me. Can’t do the dirt! What do you mean there is no place to wash my hands at the Grand Canyon??
19) My spelling is HORRIBLE! H-o-r-r-i-b-l-e! (Wait, did I spell that right??) I have to rely on spell check. The word I misspell the most is definitely – I always spell it definately.
20) My personality type is INTJ (moderate introvert, slightly intuitive, slightly thinking, and distinctively judging).
What about you?