Breaking that Plateau or Kick-Starting the Weight Loss by Adding 5 Habits, Breaking 5 Habits, and Adopting 5 Bonus Habits
10/21/2010 3:53 PM
| COMMENTS (8)
Mayo Clinic has the reputation as being one of the finest medical institutions in the world and seeks good health as its goal. As such, Mayo Clinic provides guidelines that will help jump start your Weight Watchers program, especially if you have hit a plateau. Many of their guidelines are also Weight Watchers guidelines; however, Mayo Clinic offers a food pyramid that emphasizes fruits and vegetables as the main part of your diet, followed by whole grains, protein/dairy, healthy fats, and minimal sweets. The jump-start program is similar to Weight Watchers' Simply Filling and Core programs in that it focuses as the filling foods. Here are the recommendations for the habits:
Add Five Habits
- Eat a healthy breakfast- but not too much.
- Eat vegetables and fruits - at least 3 or 4 servings of each
- Eat whole grains
- Eat healthy fats - olive oils, nuts
- Move! Walk or exercise for 30 min or more every day
Break Five Habits
- No more TV while eating - no more TV time than exercise time
- No sugar - only what's naturally found in fruit
- No snacks - except vegetables and fruits
- Moderate meat and low-fat dairy - the size of a deck of cards
- No eating at restaurants - unless the meal fits the program
Adopt Five Bonus Habits
- Keep food records - write down everything you eat
- Keep activity records - type of activity, duration, and intensity
- Move more! Walk or exercise for 60 min or more each day
- Eat "real food' - mostly fresh and healthy frozen or canned
- Write your daily goals - what motivates you every day?
Here's to your health. I hope these habits are helpful to you in jumpstarting your program or getting you over a plateau. Good luck, and let me know if this works for you!
Food, General, Health